Knitting for Charity

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Photo from Knit a Square

When I was growing up, my Great Grandmother was always knitting. She would sit there with her eyes closed, reclining in her chair, knitting away at any opportunity, and it is probably where I got my new found love for the craft from. One thing that amazed me was that she didn't knit for profit (well, not in the latter days at least), nor to make horrendous jumpers for us grandchildren at Christmas, but for charity. She would make cardigans, jumpers and other clothing items as well as squares to make blankets, and send them to charities and orphans in third world countries. She lived until the ripe old age of 100 in the end so there was a hell of a lot of knitting done.

As I was browsing the Interweb today I found a similar charity to the one my gran knitted for, called Knit a square. They seek donations of 8" squares of knitting or crochet to make blankets for AIDS orphans in South Africa. They provide instructions and pattern ideas, whether it be a simple square or if you more complex ones for something more fancy, and encourage you to use up your old scraps, charity shop bundles and whatever you have lying around.

I think this is a great idea and a great cause, and when I get some spare time i hope i will be able to contribute as much as my gran did.

0 comments:

Followers

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP